Total Pageviews

Monday, December 17, 2012

Connecticut Thoughts

I emailed my cousin Joanna recently and she said I should start blogging. I thought, what do I have to write about? Who cares if anyone reads it. Sometimes its just satisfying to put one's thoughts down on paper, so to speak. Plus I have to worry about bad grammar and I know I write like I speak, grammatically poor. So there. Don't look at my grammar.

I would never put anything political or religious on Facebook, but I suppose I could on my blog. There is always the possibility of 100 people or so that could read a political posting (let's not kid, 90% of my "friends" block my posts) so maybe only 15 people.

If I'm going to talk about the awful shootings in Connecticut my thoughts are leaning towards the political. I was in Connecticut last week attending a chasing class. I have been wondering if any of the people in my class have been connected to any of the victim's families.

There is an old boyfriend of mine who I am friends with on FB. He is now very, very religious (Catholic) and conservative. I got sick of his anti-Obama blastings during the election but I felt I needed to read it to hear the other side. I wanted to be Fair and Balanced. He is a detective in the Edmond Police Department. Back when Obama was first elected President he was scared of Obama taking away his right to guns. Yesterday he posted a picture that was really, really offensive to me. He posted a picture of the inside of a gun show showing rows and rows of guns and assault rifles. He posted, "You won't see any mass killers here". I thought that was so tasteless.

I'm not sure how I feel about guns. I think the pendulum has swung a little too far when it comes to the right to bear arms and the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights. I don't feel we need assault weapons to do so. I feel we need some controls. The Second Amendment is now a sacred cow that needs to be harnessed and trained.


No comments: